Google+ Two-Wheeled Tourist: Two-Wheeled Soul Searching in Southern California

1.08.2014

Two-Wheeled Soul Searching in Southern California

I spent over 600 miles last week riding through LA and Orange County on a dear friend's 2012 Daytona 675R over this past week, escaping the bitter cold and snowstorms of NE Ohio. In those many miles and many hours, I have journeyed through familiar places, reunited with old friends, and used these hours on the road to contemplate the challenges I have faced over these past few months. I have celebrated my little victories and have reflected on my shortcomings while weaving through the urban jungle of my childhood home of Southern California.

My favorite time to ride the freeways is at night. Nobody's on the road except me, so I can fly down the road with that full feeling of my helmet slicing across the cool coastal air. A drop of a gear and a quick blip of the throttle and I blast into another lane. On one of my last nights of motorcycle riding, I took the most illogical way home from Alhambra that involved the 5/605/60 freeways and eventually the 91 through a series of twisting, nostalgic roads. And that was just to get a coffee.


But these miles also revisited old wounds that I needed to patch up en route to moving on with the next chapter of my life. Old paths and destinations bring back a past that was filled with miles and memories, of a life that has taken me across the country. Although those days are history now, they were a part of what made me who I am now. Here in the present, I am grateful for knowing that I have so many supportive friends who will help me reach my goals and cheer me on along the way.


The motorcycle in full movement is a mind controller. When it travels at speed, it suppresses some thoughts and amplifies others. Fortunately, the thoughts that are amplified within me are the positive ones. My future is bright but it is still unclear. I continue moving forward with my personal aspirations and plans. I also wonder why it is now that my heart feels the way that it does, and for the first time in a long time, I can allow myself to experience those moments again.