Google+ Two-Wheeled Tourist: Maid-Rite: First Drive-Thru in the United States (Springfield, IL)

3.28.2014

Maid-Rite: First Drive-Thru in the United States (Springfield, IL)

After my visit to the Lincoln Home Historic Site, it was time for lunch. And in fitting fashion, I set my sights on a local eat on Route 66 with a historical significance to the United States and drive-thru restaurants everywhere.



The Maid Rite restaurant on 118 N Pasfield St. in Downtown Springfield has the distinction of being the oldest drive-thru window in the entire country. It's also on the National Register of Historic Places. The original window (photo below) has been standing since 1924 with a dining room extension added on in 1985.




This may sound ironic, but I didn't order my food from the window. Instead, I decided to park the car, dine in, and eat at the original chairs and tables that have been there since the store opened. What you see below is their flagship "horseshoe," a tasty combination of french fries, cheese, and loose hamburger meat piled on top of two steamed hamburger buns. The root beer is homemade in the store and is a long-standing recipe. Needless to say it was very delicious and worth the stop.


For more information about this chain, visit http://maid-rite.com/. There aren't any on the West Coast (farthest west they go is Utah and Colorado), but I'll be on the lookout for one of these when I ride back east on future motorcycle journeys. Also, I didn't get a chance to try their milkshakes, which I hear are epic too.
Maid-Rite on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment