Google+ Two-Wheeled Tourist: Ice scraper, anyone?

10.19.2009

Ice scraper, anyone?

Until a few days ago, I didn't realize the value of having easy access to an ice scraper. For the last two days at least, the routine for starting the car would involve allowing it to idle for several minutes while I took the scraper to the front windshield, side windows, and the mirrors. I'd shave off enough ice from the glass to make a kid-sized snowcone and then leave it on the windshield to blow off while I drove to hockey practice or work. It's quite a scene to see this from your car while the DJ on the radio declares that it'll "be nice all week with temps in the 70s."


Welcome to the unpredictability of Ohio weather. Whereas in California it's still in the 80s and 90s (and probably still on fire) I'm seeing frost in the backyard at 8AM and there's probably a 50% chance of rain tomorrow. It is an adjustment to say the least. I am grateful for all those years in the hockey rink because I don't seem to be physically fazed by it at all.

On a bright note, it'll be interesting to see actual seasons. It took 25 years of my life, but I'll actually see snow fall for the first time this winter. The leaves actually change colors here; it's a concept that I was taught in first grade but never understood. In pockets, the weather will be pleasant enough to take out the bikes every few days or so to ride through country roads and enjoy one of the most beautiful times of the year. The air is always clean and it's a nice sight to see a blue sky without a halo of brown stuff over it.

Clean air, a lower cost of living, and a slower change of pace. I'm getting used to it. For the first time in a long time I actually have time to plan activities, play more hockey, and socialize with other people. I get the extra hour and a half of time back that I would've used trying to get back home from work to relax. People are a lot more pleasant out here and actually greet you. Makes me wonder why I didn't leave CA earlier...I guess I just needed a reason and a little persuasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment