Google+ Two-Wheeled Tourist: Last Day: New Jersey, Washington, D.C., and eventually, Columbus

7.11.2010

Last Day: New Jersey, Washington, D.C., and eventually, Columbus

The last day of this trip started as a very rainy one. The forecast of
light rain during the day turned out to be quite a torrent that didn't
let up until I left Washington, D.C. several hours later. I predicted
the worst and my rain gear saved the day again.

I traveled down I-95 through the turnpike and its many toll stops,
crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge and a few places that I had seen
almost four years ago to the day I took my first cross-country trip in
a car.

After making it into Maryland, I stopped for lunch at Roy's Kwik
Korner in Glen Burnie (1002 Crain Hwy, S.W., Glen Burnie, MD 21061), a
small market famous for their "baseball crabcake." And yes, this thing
is the size of a baseball. It's mashed between two pieces of bread and
any toppings you can think of. I had mine plain with a Boylan's root
beer. Absolutely delicious.

I then took US-50 into Washington, D.C. It's a route that's quite
familiar to me. Once in there I snaked through and rode past the
National Archives, the Capitol building, and the National Cathedral.
It's another story in itself, but being in the presence of this city
brought quite a bit of closure to parts of my journeys on this side of
the United States.

Upon leaving, I got lost on I-495 and almost missed tagging Virginia.
I recitified that by taking I-495 the other way and it was off on the
Capitol Beltway, I-270 (no relation to the one circling Columbus), and
I-70.
Later in MD, I took a detour off of I-70 to I-68, a national scenic
byway. This highway seemed like a cross of I-70 in Colorado, I-40
approaching Flagstaff, AZ, and the hills of Iowa all mashed together.
It was a beautiful and quiet ride all the way into Wheeling, WV. In my
opinion, this is one of the prettiest highways east of Colorado.

Total miles: approximately 700

Total miles for this trip: approximately 2500.

Now it's back to work for me. I'm now back in Columbus and throwing
this online before my shift while having a bagel or two at Panera
Bread. I love this store.

Pictures and descriptions will be up later for your viewing pleasure.
Until then, I'm off to selling motorbike helmets until 5PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment